ray wrote:

Hi Keith;

I've never setup a VPN before but am I right in thinking that all that's
needed is the right software and two static ip addresses

With a 'nix box at each end that's about it. It gets a little more complicated if one of the gateways is MS or Cisco. Most Linux distros will include freeswan for IPsec VPN and there is PoPToP to use Linux as a MS VPN Server.

IPSEC can produce a number of additional complications - it was designed around an assumtion of connecting two (or more) points with fixed (real) IP addresses. Although a lot of these problems go away of you disable EPA (possible with FreeSwan - not with other implementations including MS) there are then implications for securing, configuring and authenticating the channel (e.g. opportunistic encryption is not available). Last time I checked, it wouldn't use x509 certificates either - although for a two site VPN this isn't so much of an issue.

It does work and is reportedly very stable. Since IPSEC is a well established standard, it will interoperate with most other implementations (but not necessarily in all configurations).

You pays your money and takes your choice. (only you don't - cos its free)

Colin