Ben,
The rs232 port normally gives VERY low power output, even running 2 IR-LEDs can
overload some serial ports :(
Are you sure there isnt any other connectors for power?
When you tried it on w2k did you bring up hyperterminal, connect direcly to the com
port (speed 9600/1 stop/no parity) and try typing commands like AT <return>?

Sorry if im stating the obfious but not sure what stuff you have tried yet :)

Ben Thorp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote ..