I just wrote this as part of a work evaluation

>I have spent most of Saturday trying out VOIP and the Skype gateways to  BT (Scotland
>and NI) and Eircom landlines.  It works, but the service quality makes it
>impracticable at the moment.  I will wait six months, or for an announced improvement
>before going back to it in earnest.

My connection was ISDN2 (128k) the sound stream was "choppy" - intermittent drop-outs.
I think that the problem was primarily with the Skype/PSTN gateway(s), as I did find
the quality fairly acceptable calling random US and Australian Skypers using only
VOIP.  But the only reason to use a commercial service is because of the gateways to
landlines and mobiles.

I was using a fairly expensive (c£150) GN Netcom 2100 UNC headset, and experimenting
with various amplifiers and adaptors. It worked best plugging it into the on-board
sound on both my workstation and laptop. I had difficulty in getting  the mic volume
adequate using a GN Netcom 8100 USB adaptor.

Unless this is a demanding professional environment (I work with several call-centres)
or you want to make a call while someone else in the room listens to radio/tv/hi-fi,
I would recommend the sort of headset recommended for voice recognition. A couple of
years ago I had a £20 Labtech (or Labgear - I can't remember), that came with a
Naturally Speaking test kit; it outperformed all of the sub-£100 headsets in the
call-centres.
If you use something with 3.5mm jacks, most of the work is being done by your sound
card.  USB devices use their own ADC/DACs and companders.  The biggest problem is
background noise rejection - hence noise-cancelling mics and correct positioning.

--
ray