On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 02:34:14PM -0500, Jim Heck wrote:
> First, when invoked directly, the compiler cannot find my libc library,
> since in the scratchbox environement, the library search path does not
> include it.  This is shown with ldd.

This is not correct, the library path will get overriden with the alien
binary wrapper. In other words, don't worry about the library path.

> My second problem is that my gcc compiler is dependent on GLIBC_2.4,
> which is probably due to having been built in the Ubuntu environment
> which has libc6 version '2.4-1ubunt' installed.  This is not exported by
> the libc.so.6 that I have in my compiler tree (since I built against 2.3.6).

Compile the toolchain in a x86 target inside scratchbox. This is
mentioned in thw wiki page:

http://scratchbox.org/wiki/CrossToolToolchain

> I know this is more of a crosstool question, but does anyone know how to
> configure crosstool to build a gcc3.4 compiler that is independent of
> the host environment (e.g. no dependency on the libc for the host on
> which the compiler was built)?

By using a older libc when compiling the crosstoolchain. Which simplest
by following the wiki's advice and using i686-linux-gcc3.3-glibc2.3
toolchain.