I have used only the "simple" mode till now in SB2. From what I understand,
during the build process when there is a need to compile/run certain
utilities, SB2 tries to use executables on the host machine whereever
possible in "simple" mode.

"emulate" will not use host executables, but instead try to compile them to
ARM (or whatever your target is) and then emulate on the host machine,
effectively making the build process longer.

I got that understanding from the following blog (read comments):
http://mariusv.wordpress.com/2008/12/07/the-cardinal-sin-of-scratchbox
-a-backhanded-stab-at-the-maemo-sdk-and-the-promise-of-a-pot-of-gold/

If my understanding is incorrect, I will be glad if someone points out.

- Avtar