Hi,

I also had the same issue with ubuntu "karmic".

This issue is due to the kernel NULL pointer vulnerability fix, that now
prevents to map low address pages.

This issue has been discussed in a number of places. For example:
http://eparis.livejournal.com/606.html
http://lwn.net/Articles/347149/

So to work around the problem, I installed selinux on my karmic box:
sudo apt-get install selinux selinux-basics selinux-utils

I know, selinux is not the easiest environment to deal with, but it
works for me without any need for tweaks.

I will give a try to the suggested mmap_min_addr setting:
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr
as some people might either hate selinux or require some other selinux
profile.

Cheers,

--
Frederic R. Roussel
<frederic dot roussel at access dash company dot com>