Thanks for the link.  The Ctl sequences do not seem to be an issue, I have
tried several and they seem fine (but not for the freeze problem).

I do notice that sending SIGHUP to screen does fix it (at least the
terminal, but maybe not the process that was writing to the terminal),
though I have also lost the screen session doing that.   I need to try more
times, and as I mentioned it's an intermittent problem, though it is
frequent enough to know it will happen a few times.

Thanks,

Edmond