The intention is not to save space, but to be able to reduce clutter.

Here is a use case that I thought of.  I have a bunch of informational
screenlets - such as network bandwidth, a terminal screenlet showing the
top processes, another terminal screenlet showing open network
connections.  These are things I use frequently enough, that I would
love to be able to gesture over part of the desktop to have that
information simply 'appear'

And then go away and not distract me when I am done.

Screenlets Dev Team, which is subscribed to Screenlets.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1012253

Title:
  Hover Opacity Change