It is kind of interesting that both of the screenlets posts you point to
do seem to say what I am saying.  There is demand out there for
screenlets to just have some development and polish.

I agree that in its current state, it is not ready for default install
and would frustrate many people.  I do have a lot of enthusiasm, and I'm
buying into the hopes that eventually

1) Any gtk app can be wrapped into a screenlet (in the works but a ways off)
2) Screenlet resizing on the desktop is a drag and drop affair (in the works)
3) Overhaul the screenlet configuration page (I may provide some mockups for
discussion)
4) Start enouraging or contributing screenlets that can be bundled with
applications (similarly to how android lets you put a recent emails widget on
your mobile desktop in conjunction with mail)

Ubuntu of all distros is worth aiming for, they are doing a ton of
experimentation and are not afraid to take things a different direction
on the desktop.  Of course if this doesn't happen, there is no reason to
be disappointed - but it is a worthwhile effort.

Screenlets Dev Team, which is subscribed to Screenlets.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1012247

Title:
  Integrate with system settings manager in Ubuntu