"" I think the excuse that SDRE music is 'too intelligent' for the masses is
 more elitist hogwash, i.e. we are the chosen ones with the great
 intelligence and are somehow special or set apart from the masses because
 we like SDRE.  Of course it's natural to want to believe htis because it
 compliments yourself at the same time as explaining why SDRE isn't
 mainstream.  Plus it plays to your own personal fantasies.  Well I know a
 lot of people who wouldn't be put on the bright side of the SDRE-l
 IQ-ometer who nonetheless like SDRE, so the answer may be a bit more
 obvious than this ego-masturbatory theory. ""

well you may be right, but i'm gonna have to try to argue otherwise.
when i first heard sdre, i was listening to seven, and couldn't for the life
of me figure out any lyrics, and i just generally disliked the song.  after i
listened to in circles, which is a lot easier to listen to, i went back, and
now years later, seven is one of my all time favorite songs.  but my point
here is that along with sdre, lot's of "emo" music is just plain difficult to
listen to at first.  it takes some effort and concentration to really get
into the lyrics and the mood.  which is completely unlike most mainstream
music, which is easy to listen to, they repeat the chorus 18 times a song,
and you can't help but have most of it memorized after one or two listens.  i
don't think it's necessarily just an intelligence issue, i think most people
don't care enough about the music to take the time to listen carefully enough
to understand the lyrics themselves, much less any meaning to them.  and that
i think it's safe to say, is a large part of what makes emo emo.  so as much
as i would like to try to be non-ego-masturbatorial, i think i'm gonna be.

me

"and i hope you out live the ones who call you by name, just sitting there
and breathing." m.i.j. november doesn't know that(you don't sing)