Ugh, I smell pretentious indie rockers!

Yes sunny day real estate, among other bands, writes their own music.

Britney Spears does not.

But.. is that the point of her music?
Not only no, but hell no.

I mean, Debbie Gibson wrote her own music which was a lot like Ms. Spears'
stuff only 10 years earlier.  La la la.  SOMEONE wrote it.  Not everyone who
writes music has the talent/image to make it commercially successful.  So
they get others to do it.  Is that better or worse than a band who writes
their own songs and tours a bunch to support it?  No, it's not even
comparable... entirely different things.  Is basketball objectively better
than hockey? Naooope.

Gawd.  I like the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears.  I just happen to like
SDRE, Joan of Arc and Slint better.  And furthermore, I like J.S. Bach,
Frederic Chopin, Franz Haydn, and W.A. Mozart better than all of the
aforementioned artists combined.  Of course, smart kids tend to listen to
classical music ;)

You are NOT smarter than the masses because you listen to esoteric artrock.
You do NOT listen to sunny day because you are superior to the masses. Get
over yourselves.  There are no "masses."  There are individuals with
different tastes than you, many of whom would like the same shit you listen
to if they ever got exposed to it.  That's the thing with indie stuff.. you
have to hunt it down yourself now, but who's to say that you wouldn't have
liked it if MTV had presented it to you?

Anyway, are any of you listers going to Bumbershoot in Seattle?
Sunny day ain't playing this year, but pavement, rocket from the crypt, and
joel r.l. phelps are!

xoSusan