Just one question, what is TSMAP?

::steve::
http://frodo1.cjb.net
----- Original Message -----
From: anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 2:17 AM
Subject: [sdre-l]: seattle show!!!

> okay, here i go...
>
> and yes, john, you can use this on your page.
>
> there was a huge line waiting outside the theater until the doors swung
open about 6:30...

> i walked in and saw FOUR new shirts for sale!!
>
> 1. a red shirt with the statue on the front and the diary-era "sunny day
real estate" typewriter logo on the back

> 2. a blue shirt that was the same, except it had all the tour dates
>
> 3. a black shirt with a black and white (NOT grayscale, just black and
white... like the picture in the cd bookelt) picture of the
> three guys
>
> 4. the AWESOMEST THING EVER... a TSMAP shirt!!! the cover of TSMAP (minus
the words) on the front, and sunny day real
> estate in white and orange (like it is on tsmap) on the back! i'm wearing
it now...

> also for sale... PILLOWCASES!!!!! i couldn't believe this... and
unfortunately i didn't have enough money to pick a set up... they
> were plain white but had "morning comes in the dream before we rise" (a
line from "the rising tide" -- if you folks haven't
> memorized the lyrics yet) stitched into them... very very cool!!
>
> also some stickers with the fly on them...
>
> no knife was great. these guys were tight beyond belief... not a missed
note, a skipped beat, the sound was perfect... just about
> the best opening act i've ever seen... considering the fact they only
played four songs i knew (the ones they played off their
> latest album), and considering they were opening for my all-time favorite
band, they put on a great set.

> sunny day.
>
> sunnnny day.
>
> there was a huge sdre fly on will's bass drum head! it looked hand-drawn
to me, although i'm not sure... also, there was a big
> feature about sunny day in the seattle times, and it shows will's drums
with the TSMAP cover on the front of the bass drum...
> maybe he's switching from night to night...
>
> i usually bring along pencil and paper to write down the setlist... this
time i forgot... but i'm pretty sure i remember it all...

> Killed By An Angel
> One
> In Circles
> The Ocean
> Snibe
> Disappear
> Guitar and Video Games
> Tearing In My Heart
> Fool In The Photograph
> J'nuh
> Faces In Disguise
>
> (encore:)
> Pillars
> 8
>
> that's right, folks.... 8!!!! it was incredible... will went nuts... for
those of you disappointed that will has been holding back on the
> fills and such, you will look forward to this... will was going even
crazier than the recorded version...

> anyway, i'm not sure what to think... i don't think i can really bring
myself to say anything negative about sdre, ever... i don't think
> my fingers will let me type anything bad... and this show definetly does
not deserve a negative review... but this was not the best
> sdre show i've ever seen. the set was too lop-sided as far as the new
stuff goes (i know, it's the release day show, and they
> have to play the new stuff... and don't get me wrong, i wanted to hear all
the new stuff... too bad there wasn't time for my
> favorites too) and there were a few other small problems too:
>
> the new bassist... was just a bassist. he played the songs, and that was
that. definitely didn't do justice to nate's, jeff's or
> jeremy's basslines... it was enough to sound "right" but not enough to
sound as great as nate or jeff or joe... some of the stuff
> was really simplified.
>
> the 3rd guitar/keyboard guy, however... this guy rules!! the keyboard
lines sounded great, and he did the backup vocals... i'm
> not trying to say he can sing like jeremy, but they managed to find a guy
that really carries the backup vocals perfectly... for
> example the end of snibe sounded perfect, he sounded just like jeremy does
on the recording.

> they also had a dude on a few of the songs that played tambourine and
triangle! who is this guy?!?!?! how did he get the
> greatest job in the world? i could do what he was doing, why can't i tour
with sdre? i think he was a roadie or something, but
> still, i'd move equipment around if i could tour with sdre... as long as
they at least gave me a sandwich every night, they wouldn't
> have to pay me...
>
> in circles was in standard tuning... or in whatever tuning "killed by an
angel" and "one" are in... because the song sounded very
> different, and they didn't switch guitars... jeremy played the same guitar
all night except for the acoustic in "the ocean"...

> dan commented after a few tunes that "we're shaking the rust off" --
that's exactly what this show was.

> there was something wrong with snibe. there was this big high-pitched
whine during the whole thing... most of the people who
> came to the show with me were trying to convince me it was the guitar... i
think something was wrong. jeremy was having a
> really hard time with it... missing lines and he started to look like he
was really pissed... like he wanted to stop but the rest of the
> band didn't... i'm not sure exactly what happened.
>
> the sound was better for no knife than it was for sdre. jeremy's vocal
microphone was not built to handle his voice... during the
> "straaaaaaaaange" in "one" the microphone just couldn't take it... and
dan's mic was hardly on at all... which made in circles
> and 8 much less cool...
>
> the ocean... someone was out of tune or something... that song was not
happening.

> but... still... great show. the new tunes sound good live. "faces in
disguise" (or "faces of some guys" as my girlfriend calls it)
> was awe-inspiring, seriously. it inspired awe. enough said.
>
> jeremy broke a string the exact second he hit the first note of the
rocking part of 8. gives you an idea how much that song
> ruled...
>
> "dan sure is one big smiling bastard" says my friend chris...
>
> so, overall... it ruled. enough to make me decide that i'm going to travel
to vancouver and/or spokane for the shows in august...

> but no prophet? no rodeo jones, song about an angel, or days were golden?
>
> and no SEVEN?!?!? (heheh.... just kidding... i think we all got over that
years ago)

> which reminds me... i didn't hear anyone yelling for seven... maybe we've
all finally come to terms with the fact that they just
> aren't going to play it anymore. there was a small pause when people
started yelling for songs... pillars, grendel, etc... which
> then turned into people (including me) yelling "stop yelling song names"
and then into people yelling ridiculous ideas like "don't
> fear the reaper" and "more than a feeling"...
>
> i'm sure next time they hit seattle they'll mix it up a bit more... but i
really can't complain. i don't care how the bassist played, i
> don't care what songs they played, i don't care how long they played... i
was there. the greatest band i've ever heard was there
> with me, playing some of the greatest songs i've ever heard (the new album
being inclusive). and i've got two shirts, two