Hi,

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> Note that the linux kernel's in-kernel interfaces are explicitly *not*
> backward compatible though.
..
> I fail to see the problem.  seabios is part of the firmware,

So that's important, I hope to help create some understanding:

coreboot and SeaBIOS are cleanly separated.

This separation compares quite well to the clean separation between Linux
kernel and the many applications you mention which depend on kernel APIs.

I agree that coreboot should also pull weight to maintain compatibility
here, but now and then all the burden falls on payloads. :\

> users are not going to freely mix and match versions.

You do recognize that this is a self-fulfilling prophecy, I hope?

They're certainly not going to do it if it was made impossible!

> So if you are stuck with an old coreboot version for whatever reason,
> just continue using an old seabios version.

I find that attitude absolutely obnoxious, which is why I question
whether SeaBIOS indeed wants to proceed with such an offensive change.

Boards are removed from coreboot in most every release so "getting stuck"
is a real thing.

Announcing a deprecation flag day in the next SeaBIOS release to give
people not reading every patch on this list an opportunity to engage
is an easy ask. Why the rush?

> It's not like seabios does see heavy development, and the changes
> going in are mostly for new hardware support (recent example is nvme)
> which doesn't buy you much on old machines.

This just sounds like privilege, especially given Volker's recent
threading/interrupt bugfix. That's a perfect example of a significant
improvement which should be available also with older coreboot.

Could of course create some SeaBIOS branches for backports and release
master to move fast and break stuff, but I don't think that's the best
option here.

> > Firmware is not QEMU.
>
> Note that coreboot apparently considers 5 years of backward
> compatibility enough.  They supported both old and new method
> for finding cbfs that long.

Do you mean within the coreboot codebase?

I agree with you if you suggest that coreboot should not remove
backwards compatibility in the payload interface willy-nilly!

But I assume that's off the table, so SeaBIOS can only decide how it
wants to behave.

//Peter