I have done further exploration and have a new proposal.

I found that USB to serial port adapters are not standardized.

So instead, what about adding NDIS to do USB tethering plus a tcpip stack
to create a virtual modem that would allow you to do:

ATDnews.eternal-september:119

Then I could connect my Chromebook to my Android phone using the standard
cable.

Would most of this be able to use existing code?