From: Gerd Hoffmann <kra...@redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2023 10:04 AM
To: Wannes Bouwen (Nokia) <wannes.bou...@nokia.com>
Cc: seabios@seabios.org
Subject: Re: [SeaBIOS] Large 32 bit BAR's

[U ontvangt vaak geen e-mail van kra...@redhat.com. Informatie over waarom dit
belangrijk is op https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification]

CAUTION: This is an external email. Please be very careful when clicking links
or opening attachments. See the URL nok.it/ext for additional information.

  Hi,

> I'm running a x86 QEMU with Ubuntu. On this system we want to emulate
> a PCIe device which contains a large 32-bit BAR (2 GiB). This is not
> working and I get following error:

Why a 32-bit bar, not a 64-bit bar?

A 2G 32-bit bar simply can't be mapped anywhere on x86.  It must be below 4G,
and it must be 2G-aligned.  Which leaves exactly two options:
0G -> 2G or 2G -> 4G.  Both overlap with resources critical for x86 boot, the
former with the real mode address space (0-1M) and the latter with lapic,
ioapic, hpet, tpm etc just below 4G.

take care,
  Gerd