Title: SearchDomino.com
Published by SearchDomino.com
searchDominoThis Week
November 15, 2004 >> Receive this e-mail as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> From the editor:
  • On the good ship "Domino Template"
  • >> Featured Topic:
  • Featured Topic: Spam filtering
  • >> Expert Technical Advice:
  • Featured Expert: Tony Higham, Domino and WebSphere Integration
  • Site Exclusives:
    >> Digging for Domino dead-ends
    >> Lotus updates Workplace apps and Notes roadmap
  • Tips of the Week:
    >> Building a new URL
    >> Retrieve the number of people in a group
  • >> Site Highlights:
    >> White Paper: IT governance through e-mail
    >> Webcast: Domino template
    >> White Paper: The state of spam

     From the Editor:

    By Jack Vaughan, Editor

    Part of the great merit of Notes over the years has been ease of entry for would-be developers. Today, new Notes/Domino developers keep coming online for one reason or another. Although Notes is far more powerful and complex, it bears a bit of resemblance to predecessor Lotus 1-2-3 in that people with little programming or computer science background can set about creating a Notes application if they put their mind to it. Remember: SearchDomino.com's Tips page offers help to starters and vets alike.

    Notes/Domino departmental roots are empowering -- but solutions must be applied carefully to perform efficiently in the larger enterprise. With this in mind, we'd like to take a moment to address your attention to one of the recent valuable content additions to this site.

    Last week, SearchDomino.com hosted a Rob Axelrod webcast on Domino template and design management, and it proved to be a lively discussion. Rob's knowledge is vast, and templates, in his hands, are a launch point for some pointed commentary. Performance is one of Rob's main areas of interest. As well, Rob has advice for administrators just recently coming onboard with LotusScript. This is useful because, across the industry admins are picking up more and more of the scripting duty.

    Note: Rod's discussion includes a bit of riffing on what is probably one of the best-named templates of 2004. That is the inimitable "Surely Template," named after Shirley Temple, the curly-haired child film star and one-time U.S. ambassador to the U.N. It is a tool for managing replica IDs of server templates. This and other useful programming bits can be found at www.openntf.org. Mail templates, blogger modules and the ever popular "Vacation Request" form can be found there as well. As Shirley Temple might say: "Goodness Gracious!"

    Regards,
    Jack Vaughan

     Featured Topic:

    Spam filtering
    By Jack Vaughan, Editor

    Spam filtering continues to vie for the post of "Job #1" in IT shops worldwide. Recently, U.S. FTC commissioners hosted a two-day summit to grapple with e-mail authentication, once seemingly poised as a potent solution for the spam problem. SearchDomino.com looks at recent developments in the spam sphere.

    Read more about this topic

     Expert Technical Advice:

    Featured Expert: Tony Higham
    Category: Domino and WebSphere Integration

    Is there a list of incompatible versions of WebSphere, Domino and Workplace? We learned by trial and error that SSO using LDAP works for WebSphere 5.0.2 with Lotus Domino 6.0, but not with other 6.X versions.
    Click here to read Tony Higham's expert response or ask a question of your own.

    Site Exclusives:
    >> Digging for Domino dead-ends
    Notes and Domino administrators work hard to fine-tune their environments. Among performance tool makers that address their "tuning issues" is one that highlights poor e-mail topologies and other traits that drag performance down.

    >> Lotus updates Workplace apps and Notes roadmap
    IBM Lotus announced upcoming versions of WebSphere Portal, Workplace Services Express and its Web Conferencing Service, and also confirmed the future blending of the Notes and Workplace clients.

    Tip of the Week:
    Building a new URL
    This code extracts the HTTP path and NSF filename to get a URL prefix to chain to other areas in your Web application. It will extract URLs that contain the ".NSF" or the database replica ID in the current location.

    Retrieve the number of people in a group
    This code will help you retrieve the number of people in a group. It will even work if a group is nested within multiple groups.

    >> Check out all our tips.

     Site Highlights

    White Paper: IT governance through e-mail
    Learn how Tracker utilizes an organization's existing messaging platform to improve administration, project management, support services and business intelligence, with a lower total cost of ownership than competing, stand-alone solutions.
    Download here.

    Webcast: Domino template
    In this webcast, you'll be shown the critical elements to a successful template and application management strategy.
    Register now.
    White Paper: The state of spam
    Learn more.
    This white paper examines the state of spam, e-mail as a critical business application and a proven software solution that delivers near-elimination of spam through efficient and scientifically-based e-mail classifications and management.

    This new monthly tip will teach you how to manage spam and keep your systems secure.
    Enter your e-mail and start receiving Spam and Security Tip.
    E-mail

    Not a member? We'll activate your membership with your subscription.

    Blackberry offerings
    In this white paper, learn about the various BlackBerry offerings including handhelds, software and service and find out why thousands of other companies have already chosen BlackBerry as their wireless platform.
    Read more.

    Debunking myths
    This white paper addresses the most common myths surrounding the concept of outsourcing e-mail security and illustrates the benefits gained from using a managed service for e-mail security.
    Click here.

    New Learning Guide
    Take advantage of our newest Learning Guide focused on LotusScript. This guide explains best practices and pitfalls to avoid and provides troubleshooting help and advice.
    Check it out.

      A B O U T   T H I S   N E W S L E T T E R
    TechTarget
    Contact us:
    SearchDomino
    Member Services
    117 Kendrick Street, Suite 800
    Needham, MA 02494

    This e-newsletter is published by SearchDomino.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
    TechTarget offers magazines, Web sites, e-newsletters, Webcasts and conferences for enterprise IT professionals.
    Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

    To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":