offering a wide range of systems including Ultra desktops (Ultra 1 -
Ultra 10), mid-range servers (E220 - E450) and a complete line of
Enterprise systems (E3000 - E6500).  We also offer the CompCon line
of Sun compatible systems.

Register to win a FREE... Sun Ultra 10 (270 MHz, 128 MB memory, 4GB
hard drive, CD ROM,PGX Graphics, 17" color, keyboard & mouse.
Drawing on 7/27/01. http://www.ccny.com/contactwinu10.htm

LEAD STORY

"Unix-server market drags"
The first quarter of 2001 has been like a revenue odyssey for the
Unix market. The U.S. market went down about 2% thanks to the
economy. Despite that, Sun and Dell saw double-digit growth. HP and
Compaq saw their growth numbers drop by double digits. Sun is still
the center of the Unixverse, owning 45% of the U.S. market.

SOURCE: ZDNet
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5083276,00.html

Read more about HP's rough go at
http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO60630,00.html.

Get advice from your piers in our new discussion forums!! They're
located at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84451!viewtype=&skip=&expand=.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1.] "As economy slows, companies turn to supply forecasting"
[2.] "Sun inks five-year, $200 million contract with Kodak"
[3.] "Intel hypes new server-computer chips"
[4.] "Corporate porn filters mean big business"

[1.] "As economy slows, companies turn to supply forecasting"
Many companies are giving serious thought to damage control systems
that handle a wealth of inventory as well as a wealth of demand. Sun
isn't thinking about it -- it's doing it. The company doesn't want
too much or too little inventory, so to minimize risk on both ends,
Sun feeds customer survey and field sales data into a supply chain
modeling application. This app lets Sun go through various inventory
scenarios and see how missing or exceeding different inventory
thresholds will affect the supply chain.

SOURCE: ComputerWorld
http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO60733,00.html

[2.] "Sun inks five-year, $200 million contract with Kodak"
Picture this: Sun has won a five-year, $200 million contract with
Eastman Kodak to increase its enterprise resource planning (ERP)
system by up to five times its present size. Right now, Kodak's
system is based on more than 100TB of StorEdge arrays and 120 Sun
enterprise servers, but is expected to grow to 500TB in the next few
years. Kodak says it will be using StorEdge T3 enterprise arrays.

SOURCE: ComputerWorld
http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO60752,00.html

[3.] "Intel hypes new server-computer chips"
Intel has begun a multimillion-dollar ad campaign for its processors
for server computers -- the ones that will do battle with Sun's
chips. Intel is eager to toot the horn of its server chips for
computers that manage large databases--a market segment Sun owns. The
Blue dudes won't be doing these ads.

SOURCE: Bloomberg News
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5995339.html?tag=owv

[4.] "Corporate porn filters mean big business"
Stymying cybersmut surfing in the workplace is turning into a big
business. Systems that prevent employees from visiting sites that
their bosses find inappropriate are growing into a standard part of
business networks and may be a $636 million business by 2004.

SOURCE: InteractiveWeek
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2763624,00.html

PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS

Are you planning to fire up Sun Fire and convert your systems to the
new line?

33% Yes, we can't wait! (28 votes)
31% No, our old UltraSPARC II system will do for now. (26 votes)
20% We'll jump into the Fire by the end of the year. (17 votes)
15% We haven't made up our minds yet. (13 votes)

Total votes: 84

Be sure to vote in our new poll: "Is the economy affecting your
company, and you?" Go to http://www.searchSolaris.com/poll and vote
today.

Want help streamlining the Solaris systems management process? Then
head over to the searchSolaris Tips Exchange where you can read and
rate tips from dozens of Solaris administrators, or submit a tip of
your own. Just click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax281849,00.html.

Have you seen our new "Word of the Week" feature! This week's word is
"IPsec." To read an in-depth definition of this term, or to look at
previous "Words of the Week," click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax285170,00.html.

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Samba Unleashed," by Steve Litt
Samba Unleashed shows you how to install, configure, and maintain
Samba on a wide variety of platforms. You will learn practical,
focused solutions and strategies so you can seamlessly get Samba
working on your network. The main section of the book covers the
topics every system administrator needs to know, including
configuring custom file share, configuring custom printer share,
using server side automation, Samba security, optimizing Samba
performance, routed networks, and browsing.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?isbn=0672318628&ac_id=68

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"The five-access point security plan"
This article provides an overview of the five-access points that need
to be secured on any computer network: physical protection, user
authentication, access control, encryption and security management.
You'll also find tips for securing each. (April 25, 2001)

SOURCE: EarthWeb
http://networking.earthweb.com/netsecur/article/0,,12084_752421_1,00.html

For many more helpful security links, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid12_tax1395,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
================
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...

"E-mail bragging leaves associate jobless"
Here's a reminder to keep your e-mail ego in check. A young associate
with a multinational private-equity firm landed a $100,000 job, got
situated in a swank new apartment and started dating some hot women.
He apparently was so impressed with himself that he bragged about it
all in an e-mail to friends. Eventually that e-mail wound up in his
boss's hands. He wasn't as impressed. Now the young hot shot has no
boss and no job. Just a guess, but the hot women are probably gone
too.

SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News
http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/business/docs/delevett22.htm

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

Get free offers from reputable merchants for products that you are
interested in. Pick from over 50 categories of interest, modify your
profile at any time to suit your needs, and receive only the email
that interests you when you subscribe today. Just click on the link
below and get your account up and running:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.