SEARCHSOLARIS.COM
Administrator Tip

SPONSORED BY: PostMasterDirect.com
Get free offers from reputable merchants for products that you are
interested in. Pick from over 50 categories of interest, modify your
profile at any time to suit your needs, and receive only the email
that interests you when you subscribe today. Just click on the
following link and get your account up and running:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/

"Why does my install keep failing with the message 'Check your name
servers?'" by Ken Robson

There is a problem with the Solaris 8 install scripts. It attempts to
verify the reachability of your DNS servers. If you enter DNS servers
that are not on the same subnet as you then the install returns the
message "Check your name servers." The correct procedure for
specifying non-local subnet name servers is to enter none at the
install prompt and the edit /etc/resolv.conf after the install and
create the following entries:

domain [your domain name] nameserver [ip address of your primary name
server] nameserver [ip address of your secondary name server -
optional] nameserver [ip address of your third nameserver - optional]

It is also a good idea to start to include the following as well:

searchlist [your domain name]

In the current Solaris resolver the local domain is checked by
default, however in later (and more secure versions) of the resolver
this is not done unless you have included your domain in the
searchlist.

The searchlist parameter is a list of domains that are appended to
any non-fully qualified domain name when a name is being resolved.
The reason that the local domain is omitted from later resolvers is
that doing it by default results in an additional lookup for all bad
names. For example if I type:

$ nslookup badname.searchsolaris.com

The resolver will automatically try to lookup:

badname.searchsolaris.com.mydomain.com

After the first lookup fails, I have asked it for a non-FQDN. If I
had typed:

$nslookup badname.searchsolaris.com.

(note the trailing dot) this would not happen. It was decided that if
you want to take the performance hit of these additional errant
lookups (and get the convenience of just typing hostname instead of
hostname.mydomain.com) then you should have to implicitly request it
in your resolver configuration.

If you have followed me so far then you will ask, "but won't that
result in my current resolver doing two lookups for my
anyname.mydomain.com?" The answer is probably, but there is not much
of a performance penalty for doing this as nscd caches negative name
servers request for 5 seconds, so the overhead is negligible.

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Designing and Programming CICS Applications," by John Horswill
Each part of "Designing and Programming CICS Applications" addresses
the design requirements for specific components and gives a
step-by-step approach to developing a simple application. The book
reviews the basic concepts of a business application and the way CICS
meets these requirements. It then covers a wide range of application
development technologies, including VisualAge for Java, WebSphere
Studio, and Visual Basic. Users learn not only how to design and
write their programs but also how to deploy their applications.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?isbn=1565926765&ac_id=68