How much should my company invest in technology? Will these
technologies scale to meet future business needs? How do I make
technical determinations to meet my business requirements? The Allied
Group's Strategic Technology Analysis can help you on your quest for
the right answers. Together with VERITAS Software, The Allied Group
provides clients with the continuous availability of
business-critical information. Register today at
http://www.go-allied.com/STA and receive a FREE PDF of our Strategic
Technology Analysis. Learn how The Allied Group can help your company
gain a competitive advantage through technology.

LEAD STORY

"Solaris bug gives attackers system-level access"
A newly discovered bug in Solaris could allow attackers to run
malicious programs on servers with Sun's operating system installed.
The buffer-overflow bug could exist in all versions of Solaris from
2.6 through 8 because those OSes install and enable the buggy
component, known as the "LPD daemon," according to an ISS advisory.
ISS recommends that all administrators turn off the LPD daemon until
Sun gets some patches out.

SOURCE: Newsbytes
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/167079.html

Read the bug alert at http://xforce.iss.net/alerts/advise80.php.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Sun and Nortel accelerate Web Services push"
[2] "Egenera has ultradense blade servers on tap"
[3] "States discuss new antitrust suit against Microsoft"
[4] "Ballmer: No contingency plan for breakup"
[5] "Linux gaining on Microsoft in server software sales"

[1] "Sun and Nortel accelerate Web Services push"
Sun and Nortel are teaming up to sell preconfigured Internet data
center hardware and software combinations to enterprises and Web
hosting providers. The packages will include Sun's Netra T1 servers
and SunScreen firewalls; Nortel's Alteon load-balancing switches; and
the Sun-Netscape Alliance's iPlanet Web server software.

SOURCE: InfoWorld
http://www.idg.net/ic_629090_1773_1-3921.html

[2] "Egenera has ultradense blade servers on tap"
A startup is going to take on Sun, HP and IBM. Egenera's BladeFrame
server is an ultradense, high-powered multiprocessing rack of servers
that the company hopes will challenge rival servers in the Unixverse.
The server comes out this fall.

SOURCE: Network World
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/0620egenera.html

They're afraid XP, in all its bundled glory, could be a competition
killer. Sun is among the companies pushing the antitrust suit.

SOURCE: The Associated Press
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/073061.htm

[4] "Ballmer: No contingency plan for breakup"
So what does Microsoft do if the appeals court says "break it up"?
There is no plan of action, according to Steve Ballmer. The ruling
from the U.S. Court of Appeals could come any day. Analysts say the
plan of action is .Net.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6338922.html?tag=owv

[5] "Linux gaining on Microsoft in server software sales"
Some research data from IDC show Linux taking as little as 10% and as
much as 27% of server software shipments.

SOURCE: USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/review/2001-06-20-linux.htm

SEARCHSOLARIS.COM FEATURED CONFERENCE

2001 USENIX Annual Technical Conference
June 25-30, 2001
Marriott Copley Place Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix01/

Conference begins next week, so register TODAY!

Are you running Solaris on Intel? Then check out our newest Ask the
Expert section featuring Solaris on Intel guru Chris Baker. He's
available to answer any questions you have on the subject at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84c40.

Take our latest poll: What was the biggest benefit you derived from
JavaOne this year? Give us your answer at
http://www.searchSolaris.com/poll

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Designing and Programming CICS Applications," by John Horswill
Each part of Designing and Programming CICS Applications addresses
the design requirements for specific components and gives a
step-by-step approach to developing a simple application. The book
reviews the basic concepts of a business application and the way CICS
meets these requirements. It then covers a wide range of application
development technologies, including VisualAge for Java, WebSphere
Studio, and Visual Basic. Users learn not only how to design and
write their programs but also how to deploy their applications.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?isbn=1565926765&ac_id=68

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"searchSolaris online tips exchange"
SearchSolaris' online tips exchange is a great place to find code,
commands and other useful information for streamlining the Solaris
system management process. The vast majority of the tips were
submitted by system administrators who tune into searchSolaris for
their daily dose of Sun/Solaris info.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax281849,00.html

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Rental-car firm exceeding the privacy limit?"
Something to keep in mind while on vacation this summer: Acme
Rent-a-Car is being sued by a Connecticut man after it used Global
Positioning System technology to track him and then fined him $450
for speeding three times. The New Haven Small Claims Court case pits
New Haven resident James Turner against Acme, a local company. When
Turner contested the charges, Acme was able to point out on a map
exactly where he exceeded the company's threshold speed of 79 mph.
Acme said it is not trying to make money with the fine, just protect
its assets. The judge has delayed the claim until the Department of
Consumer Protection has issued a ruling.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6333149.html?tag=tp_pr

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

Get free offers from reputable merchants for products that you are
interested in. Pick from over 50 categories of interest, modify your
profile at any time to suit your needs, and receive only the email
that interests you when you subscribe today. Just click on the link
below and get your account up and running:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.