Sick and tired of manually documenting your system configurations?
Automate it! Ecora's Documentor for Solaris remotely collects
configuration data from systems and generates an HTML report
detailing how all systems are configured. The plain-English reports
are useful for security assessment, disaster recovery,
troubleshooting, migration, and more. No agents to load, no scripts
to write, and installation takes only minutes. Download a FREE copy
to trial on one server for 7 days.
https://www.ecora.com/ecora/products/welcome_solaris.asp
=======================================

LEAD STORY

"iPlanet ships integration servers"
IPlanet is showing off a pair of new servers -- Integration Server
B2B Edition and Integration Server EAI (enterprise application
integration) Edition. Put these two products in the same room as
Message Queue for Java, and you have yourself an integration
platform! IPlanet is helping blur the line between application
development and integration. The servers will be ready within a
month.

SOURCE: InfoWorld
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/08/27/010827hniplanetserv.xml

Read about the changes in store at iPlanet at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/newsItem/0,289139,sid12_gci763058,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Sun still cool on Linux"
[2] "HP's service effort on track, has way to go"
[3] "New worm poses as helpful program"
[4] "Microsoft splits C# and Visual Basic roadmaps"
[5] "New judge assigned in Microsoft trial"

[1] "Sun still cool on Linux"
HP is giving the cold bird a warm hug -- is Sun giving that cold bird
the cold shoulder? HP said last week it will give Linux
enterprise-class security. Sun has yet to go that far with Linux. The
company says it is fully committed to Linux, but for the low-end.
Some analysts think Sun's Linux strategy makes the company look slow
to adopt new technologies.

SOURCE: InteractiveWeek
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2807725,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01

[2] "HP's service effort on track, has way to go"
When Carly Fiorina took the reins at HP, she was supposed to steer
the wagon down a different path -- from hardware shop to a
hardware/services shop. Many attendees at HP World 2001 said the
company is headed in the right direction, but still has a ways to go
before reaching its destination. One attendee, for example, said HP
needs to be more aggressive, like Sun and IBM, when it comes to
keeping his business.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.idg.net/ic_674449_1794_9-10000.html

[3] "New worm poses as helpful program"
Beware of bad worms in good worms' clothing. "Win32.All3gro.A"
promises to purge nasty viruses from computers, but experts say it
really leaves the viruses intact and treats files like a buffet.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6962764.html?tag=owv

[4] "Microsoft splits C# and Visual Basic roadmaps"
As soon as Visual Studio.Net rolls out of Redmond later this year,
Microsoft will make C# more like Java and simplify Visual Basic for
Rapid Application Development (RAD) environments. Microsoft is afraid
VB developers will either not use the language to build Web services
or defect to Java.

SOURCE: Computerwire
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2093679,00.html

[5] "New judge assigned in Microsoft trial"
It's been a busy day in Washington -- a federal court has picked U.S.
District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly to wield the gavel in the
Microsoft antitrust case. Also, a federal appeals court shipped the
Microsoft case off to trial court.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6960700.html?tag=lthd

This week's searchSolaris Featured Topic is "Sun and the storage
market." See all of our storage resources at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci755010,00.html.

Discuss Sun's storage plans with your peers at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee8445b.

==========================
FREE STORAGE CONFERENCE!!
==========================

**Storage Decisions 2001**

If you're going to spend $5 million+ on storage hardware and software
next year, don't miss a must-attend FREE conference developed just
for you. Attend Storage Decisions 2001 in Chicago September 26-28.
Learn to set strategy/make the smartest decisions to most effectively
manage your storage initiatives for 2002. Pre-qualified audience of
your peers and NO vendor sales pitches. Visit:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3179218;5058249;p?http://www.StorageDecisions2001.com.

GOT A PROBLEM? Get it solved in our Discussion Forums!!

In the searchSolaris Discussion Forums admins can brainstorm and
share the experiences they've had with Solaris 8, Sun Hardware and
Solaris on Intel. Plus, our site experts regularly peruse the
Discussion Forums, helping out where they can. Learn more at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@/searchsolaris.

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"NAS is picture-perfect"
Lincoln County turned to NAS when its GIS project started eating up
its storage system and IT budget. Here's how they did it.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid12_gci762538,00.html

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Keyboards spread disease"
When was the last time you washed your hands? Apparently humans are
not the only organisms getting hip to the computer age. Bacteria are
too. Britain's "The Mirror" conducted an experiment in a London
office and found that computer keyboards are popular bacterial
hangouts. The little things love the warmth (no word which keys they
prefer - maybe the letter "b" for "bacteria"?). The experiment did
not turn up the really sickening stuff like salmonella and E. coli,
but there's always next time!

SOURCE: The Register

SEARCHSOLARIS UPCOMING ONLINE AUDIO EVENT...

"Soaring Solaris on Intel"
Aug 28, 2001 at 02:00 PM EST (19:00 GMT)
Chris Baker, Sun Microsystems' Solaris' Product Marketing Manager,
will discuss the communities and applications around the Solaris 8
Operating Environment Intel edition and preview SOI's roadmap going
forward, including early access and beta programs for Solaris 9.
Pre-Register at
http://www.italkservices.com/iTalkSlides/CustomerDocs/tcht01/viewLogin.asp?prov=15660&pres=1.

System administrators know how important it is to stay informed in
the highly competitive IT marketplace. That's why every other week we
send out our popular Solaris system administrator tips. Getting to
know all the intricacies of Solaris is a never-ending process, and
our administrator tips are a convenient way to learn something new
about the OS that you might have overlooked in the past. Don't wait
to start receiving these timesaving tips. To edit your profile today,
go to http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid12,00.html.

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions as to how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions please send an e-mail to Assistant Editor
Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look forward to
improving your searchSolaris experience!

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.