SEARCHSOLARIS.COM - SOLARIS OPERATING SYSTEM AND IT INDUSTRY NEWS
September 14, 2001
More headlines at:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/news/0,289141,sid12,00.html

=======================================
GOT A PROBLEM? Get it solved in our Discussion Forums!! In the
searchSolaris Discussion Forums admins can brainstorm and share the
experiences they've had with Solaris 8, Sun Hardware and Solaris on
Intel. Plus, our site experts regularly peruse the Discussion Forums,
helping out where they can. Learn more at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@/searchsolaris.
=======================================

LEAD STORY

"SunFire 15000 - we have more details"
The Register says it has obtained details of the specification of
Sun's long-awaited replacement to its top of the range Unix server,
the E10000.

SOURCE: The Register

Read more at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid12_gci516576,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Sun's Rosenzweig dies aboard Flight 11"
[2] "IDC: Windows holds desktop, battles Linux on servers"

[1] "Sun's Rosenzweig dies aboard Flight 11"
Sun says Phil Rosenzweig, a director in the company's software group,
was among the airline passengers killed in the terrorist attacks on
the World Trade Center. Rosenzweig was a passenger on American
Airlines Flight 11, the first of two jetliners to crash into the New
York City towers.

SOURCE: Newsbytes
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170057.html

[2] "IDC: Windows holds desktop, battles Linux on servers"
IDC researchers foresee Windows staying Top Dog in the client
operating environment for a while. They think the only thing keeping
it from owning the server side too is Linux. IDC said Microsoft won
41% of new licenses in 2000, compared to Linux with 27%, other Unix
variants with 13.9% and Novell's NetWare with 13.8%.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/09/14/010914hnidc.xml

TAKE OUR NEW POLL!!

What do you think Hewlett-Packard's acquisition of Compaq will mean
to you, the customer? Tell us what you think at
http://www.searchSolaris.com/poll.

This week's searchSolaris Featured Topic is "Solaris Tips and Tricks"
Get your fill of Solaris administrator tips at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci768592,00.html.

Get Solaris tips from other admins at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@/searchsolaris.

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Submit a tip and win a prize"
Every month we give away a great prize for the best user-submitted
Solaris Administrator Tip.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsSubmit/1,289485,sid12,00.html

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"IM fills in when phones fail"
Instant messaging stepped up to the plate during the terrorist
attacks on New York and Washington, proving to be so much more than
just a cool convenience. With phones, both landlines and wireless,
totally clogged, IM traffic saw a significant spike as people turned
to it to keep in touch with friends and family members. Some 1.2
billion instant messages reportedly went over AOL -- that's a record.
MSN reported heavy traffic Tuesday and is bracing for more.

SOURCE: InternetNews
http://www.internetnews.com/asp-news/article/0,,3411_883501,00.html

==========================
FREE STORAGE CONFERENCE!!
==========================

**Storage Decisions 2001**

If you're going to spend $5 million+ on storage hardware and software
next year, don't miss a must-attend FREE conference developed just
for you. Attend Storage Decisions 2001 in Chicago September 26-28.
Learn to set strategy/make the smartest decisions to most effectively
manage your storage initiatives for 2002. Pre-qualified audience of
your peers and NO vendor sales pitches. Visit:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3179218;5058249;p?http://www.StorageDecisions2001.com.

System administrators know how important it is to stay informed in
the highly competitive IT marketplace. That's why every other week we
send out our popular Solaris system administrator tips. Getting to
know all the intricacies of Solaris is a never-ending process, and
our administrator tips are a convenient way to learn something new
about the OS that you might have overlooked in the past. Don't wait
to start receiving these timesaving tips. To edit your profile today,
go to http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid12,00.html.

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions as to how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions please send an e-mail to Assistant Editor
Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look forward to
improving your searchSolaris experience!

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.