Tight Budget? Control your capital expenditures without compromising
value. With over 15 years experience Computer Connection of CNY is a
leading supplier of Sun refurbished equipment. By providing original
Sun parts and systems and purchasing only from qualified leasing
companies you can be assured that equipment purchased from Computer
Connection meets the high quality standards established by Sun.
Additional partnerships include EMC, Veritas and Oracle. CCNY, an ISO
9002 company. http://www.ccny.com

LEAD STORY

"The Linux love affair: Will users ever be able to commit?"
Solaris users love Linux. But, are they fond enough of the open
source operating system to commit to long-term, mission critical
relationships?

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid12_gci772237,00.html

Read more at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid12_tax1444,00.html

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Sun debuts Starcat server"
[2] "Sun releases J2EE version 1.3"
[3] "New 'war vote' virus deletes computer files"

[1] "Sun debuts Starcat server"
Sun's 106-processor Starcat server is debuting, and the race is one
with IBM -- for the lucrative Unix server market.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7288455.html?tag=mn_hd

[2] "Sun releases J2EE version 1.3"
The latest version of Sun's Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) is out,
with Sun promising Java will never be the same. J2EE 1.3 includes
connectors that enable integration between Java web applications and
legacy systems. Sun claims the new version will simplify business
integration, and make it easier to use Java in building
enterprise-level web applications and services.

SOURCE: vnunet
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1125621

[3] "New 'war vote' virus deletes computer files"
A virus posing as a poll on the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks is in
circulation. WTC.exe, also known as the Vote Virus, attempts to
delete all files on an infected hard drive before mass-mailing itself
to all addresses on an Outlook address book. It also defaces all Web
pages hosted by an infected machine and attempts to download a
backdoor and reformat the system. Those attempts have been
unsuccessful to date and the virus is not spreading quickly. Experts
also believe that it is not related to the terrorist attack, despite
the subject line and text that accompanies the infected attachment.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/hottopics/security/041434.htm

====================
TAKE OUR NEW POLL!!
====================

What's the most urgent change that your IT group will implement as a
result of the recent terrorist attacks? Tell us what you think at
http://www.searchsolaris.com/poll.

=======================================

This week's searchSolaris Featured Topic is "Storage Decisions 2001"
Get your fill of storage info at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci755010,00.html.

Discuss Storage arrays and other pieces of hardware with other admins
at http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee8445b.

Learn from the Storage Innovators at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax287699,00.html.

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Centralizing storage"
To get control of their vast numbers of digital imagery files,
Aero-Metric needed a centralized storage solution that could serve
both Windows and Unix workstations.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid12_gci557234,00.html

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Laid-off techies swiping goods on way out"
Hello pink slips, goodbye laptops. As Internet startups go belly up,
laid off employees are bellying up to the spoils. More and more
disillusioned workers are stealing stuff -- looting laptops, heisting
handhelds, mooching monitors, pilfering printers and filching
furniture like they were consolation prizes. Insurance companies and
security experts nationwide say employee theft is on the rise,
especially in the technology industry. The "you lay me off, I'll rip
you off" mentality isn't really even hurting its intended targets.
Asset-management companies, furniture leasing companies and other
firms that loaned the failed companies their equipment are the ones
smarting from the stealing.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-7285664.html?tag=nbs

System administrators know how important it is to stay informed in
the highly competitive IT marketplace. That's why every other week we
send out our popular Solaris system administrator tips. Getting to
know all the intricacies of Solaris is a never-ending process, and
our administrator tips are a convenient way to learn something new
about the OS that you might have overlooked in the past. Don't wait
to start receiving these timesaving tips. To edit your profile today,
go to http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid12,00.html.

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions as to how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions please send an e-mail to Assistant Editor
Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look forward to
improving your searchSolaris experience!

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.