SEARCHSOLARIS.COM | Solaris Operating System and Industry News
 October 9, 2002

Are you willing to pay for Solaris on Intel? Join the discussion at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]@.ee84c40!viewtype=&skip=&expand=.

IN THIS ISSUE | Today's Highlights

1. TOP STORIES AND FEATURES
  - Featured Topic: Hardening Solaris
  - News: Sun appeals to large server users with Solaris update
  - News: Sun offers new portal for VPN deployment
  - News: Sun readies processors with cores galore
  - News: McNealy: Sun shines with strength
  - News: Microsoft's new weapon in the war to win Unix users

2. TIPS, ANNOUNCEMENTS AND LINKS
  - Security Tip: Configuring a highly secure Web services host
  - Part I: Isolate the Web services host server
  - Part II: Install and configure a very basic operating system
  - Part III: Force the use of su to gain root access
  - The Missing Link: True IT blooper #67: Compaq Portable code red

SEARCHSOLARIS.COM FEATURED TOPIC | Hardening Solaris

At SearchSolaris.com we've got all the Solaris security tutorials,
tips and expert advice you'll need to ensure that your systems are
properly hardened. Stay tuned each day this week as we add all new
Solaris security tips to our featured topic.

http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci756562,00.html

http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/whitepapersByCategory/0,293837,sid12_tax292346_idx0_off10,00.html

>> For a listing of our previous information-packed Featured Topics,
CLICK:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopics/0,290043,sid12,00.html

SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
The headlines below and others are available on our news page.
 >> Full Stories: http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/news/

SUN APPEALS TO LARGE SERVER USERS WITH SOLARIS UPDATE | InfoWorld
Solaris 9 9/02 is ready to go. This incremental upgrade "sparcs" up
memory management (with Memory Placement Optimization) and quality of
service and throws in developer versions of Sun's portal and Web
servers.

SUN OFFERS NEW PORTAL FOR VPN DEVELOPMENT | CRN
Sun's latest Sun ONE portal has made its debut. Sun ONE Portal Server
6, Secure Remote Access gives solution providers a secure VPN without
the need for VPN software on the client side. Sun claims the portal
works through "netlets," which is a Java applet that securely tunnels
out applications beyond the firewall to remote users. The product
should be ready for shipping by the middle of this month.

SUN READIES PROCESSORS WITH CORES GALORE | IDG News
Sun is getting ready to make a move in its low-end server line. The
company plans to crank out eight-core processors that not only will
crunch data, but also will rip through TCP/IP requests. Sun hopes the
technology will strengthen its lower-end servers that handle e-mail,
file, print and media file serving.

MCNEALY: SUN SHINES WITH STRENGTH | InfoWorld
Sun is doing just fine, thank you very much. CEO Scott McNealy,
addressing the Gartner Symposium/ITxpo conference this week, said his
company is making money and continues to innovate new technologies
for fighting its foes. McNealy also talked about Sun One versus .NET,
saying Microsoft's integrated approach versus Sun's "integrateable"
approach is the meatiest difference between the rivals' Web services
visions. Is "integrateable" even a word?

MICROSOFT'S NEW WEAPON IN THE WAR TO WIN UNIX USERS | eWEEK
Microsoft has another weapon in its war to win over Unix users.
Microsoft Solution for Unix Migration is a new program that not only
focuses on migration from Unix to Windows, but also works to better
integrate customer applications and offers advice on how to migrate
those applications and move them to .NET in a way that's not scary.

The headlines above and others are available on our news page.
 >> Full Stories: http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/news/

:::::::::  DON'T MISS THESE IMPORTANT MESSAGES AND LINKS  :::::::::
SECURITY TIP | Configuring a highly secure Web services host 1-3

Configuring a highly secure Web services host

This three part security tip, written by Solaris expert Gary Smith,
explains the beginning steps in configuring a highly secure Web
services host server. We'll explore the topic further in our next
Solaris Security Tip.

Part I: Isolate the Web services host server

There are several choices for placing a Web server in an
organization's network. To ensure that traffic between the Internet
and the server does not traverse any part of your private internal
network and that no internal network traffic is visible to the
server, place it on a separate, protected subnetwork. To learn more,
click the link below.

>> For the complete tip, CLICK:
http://www.searchSolaris.com/tip/1,289483,sid12_gci855736,00.html

Part II: Install and configure a very basic operating system

The first step in configuring a secure Web services host is to
install a minimum operating system configuration. While the
installation and configuration is taking place, the system is not
connected to any network. This prevents a malicious intruder from
gaining access and corrupting the software base before it is secure.
Read on to learn more about installing the minimal OS and the
recommended patch cluster.

>> For the complete tip, CLICK:
http://www.searchSolaris.com/tip/1,289483,sid12_gci855738,00.html

Part III: Force the use of su to gain root access

To enhance audit of root access, direct logon should be denied for
the root account. It is recommended using only the su command to gain
root privileges.

>> For the complete tip, CLICK:
http://www.searchSolaris.com/tip/1,289483,sid12_gci855739,00.html

To experience our complete library of Solaris Security Tips, CLICK:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax286832_alpD_idx0,00.html

THE MISSING LINK | True IT blooper #67: Compaq Portable code red

The most recent newcomer to "Oopsburgh" learned the hard way that too
much disk space can be a bad thing -- especially when the file that
basically runs the computer has been tossed out with the rest of the
"trash." Want an analogy? Think of a doctor telling you that a good
way to lose weight would be to have your brain removed!
(SearchWindowsManageability.com)

http://searchwindowsmanageability.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid33_gci853662,00.html

>> To view our complete collection of offbeat tales from the world of
information technology, CLICK:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid12_tax292504,00.html

Do you find this email useful? Forward it along to a colleague.
:::::::::::::::::::  SEARCHSOLARIS.COM CONTACTS  :::::::::::::::::::

 MARK BRUNELLI, Site Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send in your tech tips, article ideas and favorite Web sites.

 ED PARRY, News Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send in your news, press releases and product announcements.

 MATT PELINO (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.
::::::::::::::::::::  ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER   :::::::::::::::::::::

Published by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
 TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
 Copyright 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Unsubscribe from 'Daily News'
 - Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
>  or
 - Go to: http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
 - Log in to edit your profile.
 - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
 - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish
   to unsubscribe from.
 - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile."