What I want to do Is compile some programs, using the source.tar.gz file (rather than
rpm),
bueing only used to building simple programs from source and always using rpm,
Iam not 100% sure about tracking and succesfully building files from source.

This is what Iam doing so far:

./configure --prefix /opt/gnome
make
make install prefix=/tmp/install

then run make install (once everything is complete)

As Iam trying to compile some Gnome2 files, I figured that using the: make install
prefix=/tmp/install
to install them into the tmp directory, so I can see what files are installed (as Iam
not 100% confident with reading Makefiles)

Ive been looking through maximum rpm, so see how rpm does this, and I noticied that it
uses ldd on each executable program in the
package to determine package dependancies, this i presume would be run on the files in
/tmp/install

But the problems Iam having really is that not all the programs Iam compiling obeys
the /opt/gnome, as Ive noticed some are going
into the /etc and /usr /bin directory instead rather than /opt/gnome/bin or
/opt/gnome/usr etc..

How could I keep track of what files go where using standard files/programs installed
with RedHat,
and how could I make all the files go to where I want them to go..

Sorry for asking so many questions (and probally so simple ones as well, but Ive read
the linuxdoc howto's and still cannot get it to
work correctly)

Thanks in advance

Mark