On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:58:24AM -0500, Christ, Bryan wrote:
> Most of the suggestions I have read say to chmod 666 /dev/tty, but
> my /dev/tty is a directory.

That's bad.  That's very, very bad.  I'd suggest you get in touch with
one of the support forums (mailing lists, IRC channels, etc.) for your
operating system.

> ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Permission denied, please try again.
> Permission denied, please try again.
> Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password).

If you did indeed issue "chmod 666" on a directory, that might explain
part of the problem -- a directory which lacks the "execute" bit would
be untraversable.

> debug1: read_passphrase: can't open /dev/tty: Is a directory
> debug3: packet_send2: adding 8 (len 51 padlen 5 extra_pad 64)
> debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
> publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
> Permission denied, please try again.

*nod*  Whatever your Linux distribution has done, fixing it is probably
outside the scope of this mailing list.  /dev/tty is supposed to be a
character device node.  Shell scripts and other Unix programs have *always*
been able to count on "read foo < /dev/tty" working.  If /dev/tty is a
directory, that will break a *lot* of stuff.

I'm hesitant to suggest even something as simple as "man MAKEDEV", for
fear that any attempt to fix this snafu (without understanding the
primary cause) will just make it worse.