Could anyone point me in the direction (a) white paper(s) on on-line
credit card processing best practice.  There are a lot of vendor specific
information out there (here's your problem and here is the vendor x name's
solution) and it may be that a vendor solution is required, I'm not sure.
Thus far, I have determined that there are a few critical steps to ensure
the security of on-line transactions.
        Client authentication -- to verify a users identity     (In
liability and integrity terms, should this be handled by the application by
a third party vendor?)
        Channel security -- to allow private information transfer  (man in
the middle attacks aside, a 128 bit SSL solution is apparently the best
option)
        Access control -- to enforce user permissions on data (my assumption
here is a database security architecture.  Users need to read product
details from a database, write transaction details etc.)
        Does anyone have experience with this from an infrastructure
consultants  perspective?

        Jeremy Foote
        MCSE, CCNA, blah blah blah