Thanks.  After two hours of troubleshooting everthing
imaginable, it came down to being the Nimda virus.
Strangly, it wasn't the IIS servers that were affected
(they are all patched, etc), but the massive amount of
traffic caused by Nimda was overloading Apache on the
Linux servers.  Fixed it by a combination of denying
traffic at the router from specific blocks of
offenders, and IPchains rules on the Linux servers.  I
have been doing this for a couple of years, and Nimda
is the worst thing we have seen here.