I found out that this folder was created when I installed Service Pack 1.
I deleted it and saw it again after installing IE 5.5

Thanks to Ken Morris for suggestions.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Birl wrote:

sab> Running Windows 2000 Advanced Server (no Service Packs) as a stand-alone.
sab> Not running Active Directory.  This is an IIS server with most of the
sab> needed IIS patches installed (has already thwarted CodeRed and SADMIND).
sab>
sab> I found a mysterious folder under C:\Documents and Settings\
sab> called <computername>$
sab>
sab>    ie:  BlackBox-01$   since the name of the computer is BlackBox-01.
sab>                             (C:\Documents and Settings\BlackBox-01$)
sab>
sab> I have another computer, NetBIOS name is BIRL.  It has a folder called
sab> C:\Documents and Settings\BIRL$
sab>
sab> I know that the folder names under "Documents and Settings" are named
sab> after the users who log into this server, but:
sab>
sab> 1) There's only 4 user accounts  Administrator,       Guest   (disabled)
sab>                                  IUSR_BLACKBOX-01 and IWAM_BLACKBOX-01
sab> 2) This server is in a restricted area.
sab>
sab>
sab> What catches my attention:
sab>
sab> 1) Not all of the servers that are running Win2000 A.S. have this folder.
sab> 2) The folder contains following tree structure
sab>
sab>     BlackBox-01$\                 (This name depends on the computer name)
sab>         Application Data\
sab>            Microsoft\
sab>               Internet Explorer\
sab>               System Certificates\
sab>                  My\
sab>                     Certificates\
sab>                     CRLs\
sab>                     CTLs\
sab>         Local Settings\                   (hidden)
sab>            Application Data\              (hidden)
sab>            History\                       (hidden)
sab>            Temp\
sab>            Temporary Internet Files\      (hidden)
sab>         NTUser.dat                        (hidden file) (in use)
sab>         NTUser.dat.log                    (hidden file)
sab>         NTUser.ini                        (hidden file)
sab>
sab>
sab> The only places where I found NTUser.dat* (on other systems) was:
sab>     C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\
sab>     C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\
sab>     C:\WinNT\Repair\
sab>
sab> It's creation date is 08/22/2001.  It's modified date is the same.
sab>
sab> To be safe, I removed the server from the network and restored a Norton
sab> GHOST image from 08/21/2001.  It did NOT have this folder.
sab>
sab> So within a 24-hour period, this folder was created.
sab>
sab> Does anyone know how this folder may have been created?
sab> Im currently looking at any programs or updates I may have installed.
sab>
sab> Before restoring the GHOST image, this server was on the network, I
sab> tighten down the services and TCP/UDP ports.  So I am at a loss as to how
sab> this folder may have been created.
sab>
sab> There are no additional users and/or groups created.  And I am the only
sab> person with the Administrator password.  The computer remains off of the
sab> network since I restored the GHOST image.
sab>
sab>
sab>
sab>  Thanks again.
sab>
sab>  Scott Birl           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
sab>  UNIX Consultant/Systems Administrator   Computer Services    Temple University
sab>  1805 North Broad Street  Philadelphia   Pennsylvania 19122   United States