Hi Ann,

Fortunately Ann you don't necessarily have to get "secret hacker stuff"
:-)

There are a couple of products by Winternals called that work great to
retrieve lost/forgotten passwords.  They are either Remote Recover or
NTRecover and they work in conjunction with NTLocksmith to retrieve
passwords.  It's relatively inexpensive and works great.

http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/

However, if you do need to go the other route.  Then you will need to
get a linux boot disk that can access the ntfs partition.  Retrieve the
SAM off of the box and then run Lophtcrack against the SAM to get the
password. (this could take a while if the password is very complex)

For Lophtcrack:
http://www.atstake.com/research/lc3/index.html

Hope this all helps.

Sean Waddell