From: Frank Dick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 5:16 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'; 'Mickey S. Olsberg'; 'Luke LeBoeuf';
'satyam'; '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall

The Cisco Secure PIX is a high perfoming firewall, as it does nothing more
than a basic firewalling (with VPN-Server).

The PIX offers Statefull Inspection (tracking the source and destination
address, TCP sequence numbers, port numbers, and additional TCP flags), if
you use other features (more content aware) or NAT, it will not beat other
Firewalls in performance. Even logging is outsourced to a syslog-server as
the PIX runs completely from flash memory.

The PIX runs on Intel Hardware and a proprietary (Cisco IOS like) Operating
System.

"One of our main goals was to move our platforms to a purely embedded
design, while using the fastest processors available," explains Adam Walb,
manager of hardware engineering at Cisco. Based on Cisco specifications,
Intel worked with Cisco engineers to implement a design based on the Intel®
Celeron(tm) and Pentium® III processors, Intel® 440BX chipset, Intel®
82559ER Ethernet controller, and Intel® Boot Block flash and Intel
StrataFlash® memory devices, integrated in a small form-factor motherboard.
(http://developer.intel.com/platforms/applied/eiacomm/commfocus/ttm.htm)

Pix 506 Processor:      1 x Intel Pentium MMX 200 MHz   (troughput
8MBit/sec)
.
.
.
PIX 535 Processor:      2 x Intel Pentium III 1 GHz     (throughput
1GBit/sec)

You see, there is nothing mysterious about Hardware-Firewalls.

I didn't followed this thread so I don't actual know if someone mentioned
that hardware firewalls mostly do not need as much maintanance as software
Firewalls. In general, Hardware Firewalls are not faster than
Software-Firewalls, but easier to use as you do not have to install and
configure the OS (initially installed by the manufacturer; updates via tftp
(tftp) or Windows programms).  In general the Hardware comes from other
manufacturers than the Firewall (NOKIA, Cobalt(now SUN)), if you have
problems nobody feels responsible and they will say that the problem is
caused by the other manufacturer.

Regards

Frank

--