Err that's perfectly normal. Linux does buffering/caching meaning that it
will keep all files/libraries it has opened/read will remain cached in the
memory until the memory is needed otherwise.

Try running 'free' (without quotes) you'll see something like this:

Mem:        126980     124180       2800          0      11120      59596
-/+ buffers/cache:      53464      73516
Swap:       498004      38044     459960

You'll see total, used, free, shared, buffers, cached. As you can see with me
I have 126,9MB (the memory that the kernel uses isn't counted) from which
124,1 is used and 2,8 is free, however 11,1 from that is buffer and 59,5!!!!!
is cached, as you will notice you have a bar called -/+ buffers/cache now if
you'll look there you'll see that the actual memory needed is 53,4MB and that
73,5 is still free if you don't count the cache and buffers.

Regards

On Monday 01 October 2001 14:35, Baba Bogdan stuffed this into my mailbox: