From: Daymon McCartney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 11:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Pimp Oftheyear
Subject: RE: Hotfix Deployer

Try looking into UpdateEXPERT by St. Bernard software.  I've been evaluating
a copy at work and it helps a LOT.  It does exactly what you're asking
for... they used to have a version called SPQuery that only did Windows
patches, but the new version does WinNT/2K, IIS, Exchange, SQL, Proxy (I
think), MS Office/Outlook, IE... I think that's it.  Go to SPQuery.com and
check it out.  It updates a database that the company sells as a
subscription (per machine)... they build the database with the logic of
which patches supersede others, the correct order to install them, different
dependencies, which patches can be applied without a reboot (like QChain),
etc.

I haven't found another product as comprehensive as this one on the market.
If someone else knows of a good competitor, please let me know as we haven't
purchased it yet.  (SMS doesn't count -- I hate it!) For 500 managed
machines they quoted us around $8,500.  In any enterprise of size, I think a
tool like this is invaluable.  Sure, you can script out things to install
them for you and save a lot of money, but in the end it saves money because
you don't have to pay someone to research the patches, write scripts and/or
manually install the patches.

Comments anyone?