From: Jason Burfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 3:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: t0rn help and questions...?

I'm sure someone here will have some insight on this...

A friend of mine has a linux machine that has been rooted with the t0rn
root kit. I found the usual supsects, as in ps, dir, find, syslogd, top
etc all having been replaced. Also, there were two new lines in the
rc.sysinit script. One to launch xntps and one that ran /bin/badsh.

The machine is obviously going to need a complete re-install. However, I
would really like to figure out how someone got in. The machine was
running the following items:

NAME          VERSION          PORT
apache         1.3.20           80
ssh            2.1.1            22
netatalk       1.4.99           548
mysql          3.23.xx          3306

There is also a new directory on the machine: /var/logs

Inside of that is a directory named '...' (no quotes), inside of that
are numerous files. Several of which appear to contain the info from the
compromised machine scanning for ssh on other machines.

The entries in that file look like this:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(domain.com):22 :SSH-1.5-1.2.30

With the exception of the obviously changing ip and domain, the rest of
that line is the same for every single line in all of those files. And
there are a LOT of them. 100,000+

These files are named: 1.2.26.txt, 1.2.30.txt, 1.txt, bla.txt and
pis.txt.

I copied those 'log' files to a seperate machine and took the
compromised machine off the network..

The other files in that directory are: encrypt, scan, t0rnscan and
t0rnscreen. There is also a sub-directory named 'stuff' that contains
the following items: cleaner, mf, pico, sniffer, t0rnd and wget.

Can anyone point me in a direction to try to figure out how someone got
into this machine?

Oh, the machine was running Red Hat 7.0. Kernel 2.2.16. It was NOT a
default install, meaning we picked the stuff to install and only
installed what we needed.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

  --  Jason