Well, PortSentry will alert you via syslog of it's action, so you can view
the operation as the software immediately reacting and then letting you take
appropriate steps for a long-term solution. You can turn this feature off if
desired, and in fact, I usually do.

One big issue is that it would be easy to spoof someone else's IP address in
order to cause the server to block that person from accessing the machine. A
very good DOS attack. (Imagine if the server in question was a DNS server.
Remember, PortSentry may also create a black hole route for that host rather
than just using tcp_wrappers.)

Regards, Dustin