well those ports belong to netbios which is a very vunlerable protocol so if
you plan on implementing this on your WAN or whatever you might want to look
into some kind of tunneling e.g IPSEC e.t.c to make it secure.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Ullrich [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 10:54 AM
To: Security-basics
Subject: Win Network Fileshares

Often users in different locations of our company (e.g. a user in the US
and a user in Belgium) want to use network filesharing via the mapping
functionality of Windows' file-explorer. I think the ports 137 to 139
must be opened on the FW for this. But usually I try to convince my
users that they should not use this mechanisms on our WAN. Does anybody
has security related arguments for me to turn those requests down.

Thomas