On Monday 26 November 2001 06:40 pm, Rich Richenberg wrote:
> Hello All,
> I'd appreciate your comments on the exposure Unix-based systems face
> relative to malicious code being passed via email, http, etc. I notice that
> the major antivirus vendors do not offer server or desktop products for the
> Unix-based OSes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich Richenberg
> Technical Security Manager
> Peregrine Systems, Inc.

unix systems are generally immune to malicious code being passed via an email
message (they can still relay this code if they are mail servers, but they
themselves are not infected) because most of the usual email clients do not
support any of the 'features' which have lead to most of the email virii we
see, the same is true for windows machines in which people do not use
outlook. they are also generally immune to attacks which rely on the user
executing the code as most virii passed via email are windows executables and
will not run on unix platforms. As for http, i do recall a vulnerability
where netscape would execute code embedded in .gifs or something, but that
was a while ago (maybe 2 years?) so make sure you're up to date with that.

 However if the unix system is running any remote accessable services it may
be possible for the machine to be compromised. Protection against these types
of attacks involves a different method than protecting desktops from virii,
so different software is need, free software like snort, hogwash, and
tripwire can greatly improve your immunity to most attacks, or at least
knowedlge of when an attack occurs, and of course the most important thing is
to keep all software up to date. Also many virus vendors do actually have
products for unix variants, they are usually buried deep in their websites
though, however their main use is scanning email, programs, or whatever for
viruses that affect windows machines.