Aman,

Sounds like your ipchains are the following:

1.) $ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s 0/0 -d $hostA 22 -j ACCEPT
2.) $ipchains -A output -i eth0 -s $hostA 22 -d 0/0 -j ACCEPT
3.) $ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s 0/0 -d 0/0 -j DENY

Am I right?

If so, I would make this modification:

change the second rule to this:

$ipchains -A output -i eth0 -s $hostA -d 0/0 22 -j ACCEPT

The second rule seemed to be anticipating your outgoing process to spawn
from the connection port. (Assuming I properly interpreted what you
wrote.) Your processes should spawn from 1024:65535, so you can just as
easily add that (-s $hostA 1024:65535)

I would additionally use ssh -v localhost to help troubleshoot the problem.

Hope it helps.

Justin