Hi guys,

  To add to this thread ... Using SSL would make this tremendously more
secure as the SSL connection negotiations between the client browser and the
Apache server (or any https server) are executed and authenticated prior to
any data passing between the server and the client - bottom line - the
username and password would be encrypted as well as any email information in
the SSL packets and not available for viewing by a sniffer...

  One caveat here - make sure you are running 128-bit encryption as there is
hardware available now that would allow brute-force decryption of 64-bit DES
in about 48-hours or so... (Ah - the wonders of technology) and do not cost
a great deal to implement (less than $2000 USD - Don't ask - If you do not
know I am not saying)....

Just my two cents...

gm...