For a long time now I have used a very old version of Lview, I believe it might be a
16 bit version, in my 32-bit operating systems to view my Jpegs.  I just like its
small size and simplicity.

It used to occasionally lock up if I accidentally opened 2 or more instances of the
program, but that's ok.

Suddenly, a couple of months ago, the system began acting in this disturbing way:  If
I open even one instance, and close it normally again, the system slows to a crawl.
For example, when I switch active windows from Explorer to Netscape, it might take a
full minute or two before the Netscape window redraws and comes to the front.

I discovered that I can go to Task Manager -- Processes, and kill the process "
wowexec.exe" (with the leading space) and everything will be restored to normal
behavior.

Around the time that this started happening I did two things which I can remember.
     1.  Installed Win2K SP2 and did Windows Update
     2.  Downloaded and installed a program from a German site for editing mpeg videos
(fist time I broke my own rule of downloading and installing random software).

The Lview.exe appears to be same size as the original, which I have on CD ROM.

Any idea if I have been infected with something and what I can do about it?

Thanks,

JJ