OK, in a nutshell...

The 2 devices (in this case FWs) each have their own physical IP
addresses on each interface.  Each *pair* of interfaces (DMZ, intranet,
etc...) has one virtual IP address that they both pay attention to.

Which application you are using will determine the method for
configuring this, but one will be defined as *primary* and one as
*backup*.  The primary device will answer arp requests for the virtual
IP address.  The backup sees, but will not respond to arp requests for
the virtual address that it is monitoring, unless it sees that the
primary is down.  The VRRP link is how the primary/backup keep tabs on
health check

Have I forgotten anything?  Anybody else chime in...

--
Nick
Network Security Consultant