Check out SILC [Secure Internet Live Conferencing] at http://silcnet.org .

<snip>
SILC (Secure Internet Live Conferencing) is a protocol which provides secure
conferencing services on the Internet over insecure channel. SILC
superficially resembles IRC, although they are very different internally.
They both provide conferencing services and have almost the same set of
commands. Other than that, they are nothing alike. The SILC is secure and the
network model is entirely different compared to IRC.
</snap>

Erik Tayler