I think that a lot of IT people with little security training think that a firewall is
an all in one solution.  I used to work for a place that thought because they had a
firewall everything was safe.  They didn't keep up on their policies, they didn't
check the logs and they didn't patch their systems.  I tried to tell them that if the
WWW service running on port 80 that the firewall lets in is vulnerable, a firewall
won't do jack.  They didn't listen :)

<<< "leon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  1/13 11:56a >>>

People commonly compare security to an onion as both are layered.

Firewalling is one layer, hardening is another layer, ids is yet
another layer, then you have physical security, strong
authentication, yadda yadda

However once you start having layers security becomes more like a
chain (only as strong as your weakest link).  So I am not saving
don't have layers (the more layers the better) just don't assume
because you have a firewall you don't need to harden (or any
combination; I have an ids and a firewall who needs to patch?)

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend,

Leon