> Why is it crashing my system that's a good question...
>
> I have /var/audit mounted on it's own file system and it's own disk... the
> entire file system locks up when the file system gets full with logs..

Have you changed auditconfig -setpolicy +cnt (default setting in the bsmconv
 script) to auditconfig -setpolicy -cnt?

<snip from auditconfig man>
          cnt   Do not suspend processes  when  audit  resources
                 are  exhausted.  Instead, drop audit records and
                 keep a count of the number of  records  dropped.
                 By  default,  process  are suspended until audit
                 resources become available.
<snip>
(note that 'default' here is the opposite of 'default' in the script.)