If you look at an nmap FIN scan, you'll see that the FIN to a listening
port does not get a response.  A FIN to a closed port gets a RST right
back.  So, what the FIN scan to a listening port has a timeout; if no RST
is sent back in a defined period of time, then the port is listed as open.

Pretty sure this is the case.  Anyone?

-scm