Mike,

this is close to what I'm doing. I have all servers logging to syslog.
Luckily, I can scrap a lot of events. Every night a batch file runs that
splits the syslog file into several parts. The log for SMTP connections
for example is only kept for a certain period. Remaining entries in 'the
big log' are kept forever. When those logs get too big, I zip'em up
(only happened once). At the end of the year they are all moved to CD.

The Event viewer itself gets deleted after review. The System and App
logs are 4 MB and Security 8 MB in size. Events are overwritten as
needed.

For you I would suggest:
Definitely log to syslog and keep these. Smaller in size (compared to
Event log files), easier to grep through and review. Easier to handle
(files not locked).
In addition, keep logging to Eventlog for a quick review of recent
events. For record keeping, the Eventlog sucks though. Syslog gives you
consolidation of all log types of all servers. This is also very useful
for correlation of events.

Regards,
Frank