Probably nothing much can be done. A firewall is not
designed to mitigate a DoS attack. Although it can
detect a DoS attack, it doesn't have enough juice to
handle it without performance degradation, which is
why you are not able to go out too.

There are dedicated DoS mitigation devices out there
in the market. You can check out www.toplayer.com.

-Ken