Leon,

"Understanding PKI" by Adams & Lloyd is very comprehensive regarding what it
is.
"PKI, Implementing and Managing e-Security" I found useful in a more
practical manner.
I found "Planning for PKI" by Housley and Polk to be too simple, as was PKI
by Austin.
Very useful was "Digital Certificates" by Feghhi, Feghhi and Williams, in
terms of understanding
exactly how the certificates are handled by clients and servers.  Sort of
picks up where the
Understanding PKI leaves off.
"Rethinking Public Key Infrastructure and Digital Certificates" by Brands is
a very
interesting take on the problem of PKI and privacy.

By the way, I am of sound mind and find Douglas Comer's Internetworking with
TCP/IP to be
the definitive guide to TCP/IP.

Walt