Hey yo.

Me=branch sysadmin for a company that thinks "security" is a
savings & loan term.

My system=WAN-connected w/ firewall, server & service-based
virusscanning, all sorts of Windoze and every patch I can find.

My problem:  Messengers.  They're against company policy, so for a
while I just uninstalled them every time I saw them.  That upset
the office politic, so I had to stop.  Now they're "technically"
contraban, but everybody has them anyway.  What's worse, the
people who successfully complained enough got permission to keep
theirs (usually the "But I need to chat with my kids all day!"
line).  I've been looking for a way to get rid of them and reading
this thread with great interest, because until recently I figured
if could find a simple way to prevent them from working on our nw,
the company would let me do it.  Now, though, I have to allow at
least one or two instances of MSN messenger to run...Is there any
way under the sun that I could keep all messengers from running
*except* the ones my oh-so security-and-productivity-conscious
employers have decided to allow?  (I know it's easy on the NT
boxes, but most of them are 98.)  Also, if I'm forced to just
allow them all, is there anything I can do to mitigate the
security/stupidity risk these things pose in the hands of, um,
certain users?

Danke peeps.
Sara T.

"It is the triumph of the human that he can know a thing and still
not believe it."  --John Steinbeck, _East Of Eden_

Get your own evilemail.com address at http://www.evilemail.com