The programming practices of microsoft are the biggest culprit in IE and
outlook security issues. for the most part, netscape's security history is
notably better, and you really only have to use the netscape smart update to
keep up to date.
both browsers can be made more safe by disabling various functions,of course
this limits the functionality of some web pages. I believe netscape gives you
more specific control over this than IE (i haven't used ie in a while), and
the konqueror browser is likely the best with it's per site enabling of
java/javascript/user agent responses/etc., or lynx with it's lack of support
for exploitable protocols =P
as for reading mail, you might just want to have a stand alone email client.

this topic is ripe for a heated discussion, and this thread will prolly never
die =P