From: Hornat, Charles [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 12:53 PM
To: 'tony toni';
[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject: RE: Political Challenges Using Nessus

I am so happy to see someone actually putting thought in before just running off and
launching scans.  I wish my admins thought like you.
Here is what I require before any assessment is done.  I have a form that I fill out
with specific info.  The sheet contains information like the following:
Who will do the assessment and why.
What will be done and why.
When will the assessment be done and why.
Where will it be done from and why.
I then require four signatures, the person doing the audit, the persons manager, the
owner of the technology that will be scanned and their manager.
It may seem like over kill, but it covers your ass, and helps inform all important
parties what your doing and that your taking the time to help them.
I use NESSUS and I recommend you perform scans, but always click the "enable all but
dangerous" button.  I have had no problems and have scanned a million servers, but I
know others who weren't' so lucky.
hope this helps.
Charles